The following is an outline of E-Learning in our school. E-Learning is learning with the assistance of digital technology. In line with our Mission Statement from our Whole School Plan, it is our intention to ‘use digital technology, i.e. Information & Communication Technologies, integrate them with the appropriate pedagogies to meet the objectives of the curriculum & to enhance learning’. Our school will strive to ensure that:
1. Pupils’ learning needs remain central to all e-learning developments.
2. Collaborative learning is promoted.
3. Self-directed & personalised learning is facilitated & supported.
4. A range of ICT devices are available for use in the school.
5. There is ease of access to networked ICT facilities for staff & pupils.
6. There is access to Broadband.
7. There is wide ranging use of ICT across all subject areas of the curriculum.
8. There is willingness to use new digital tools & resources for learning & teaching activities.
9. Pupils have opportunities to acquire digital literacy skills.
10. Pupils learn to adapt safe & ethical use of digital technologies in their lives.
11. Technology is confidently used by all staff members.
12. Professional development of teachers in the integration of ICT is planned & promoted.
from ‘Planning & Implementing e-Learning in your School’ by NCTE. ‘Whole School Plan: Mission Statement’ of St. Colmcille’s N.S.,Ballinahown, Athlone, Co. Westmeath